Sunday, November 9, 2014

Remember them............

 photo 08869e70-d423-4a79-a4d5-e9f9a942c7fe_zps98c63961.jpg

As we come to Nov 11 this year, being Sunday today, and Rememberance Sunday at home, I want to honour those in my family who served.
Some came home........My Father, Harry Hines and his 3 brothers who served, Harold, Cecil and Alan. Two brothers in law, Charlie Nimmo and William Ingrey served as well as a cousin. My Dad and Charlie were POW in Japan. Bill Ingrey died on the beaches of Normandy. Dunkirk to be exact.

My Grandmother Jennie had to have been a very strong lady. Her husband served in the first war, but she sent 4 of her 5 sons off to fight in WW2. She had soldiers billeted at her house as well as a German POW. I can not imagine how she got through those years. When both my boys were in the Marine Corps they and I were fortunate to not be serving in war time. It was still a worry for us though, they being abroad. For my Grandmother, not knowing had to be the worst possible thing. I know for two years she would not have known if my dad was alive or dead. He and Charlie were both POW in Japan. Both came home but suffered all their lives with ill health due to conditions there.
In this picture...Alan, Harold and Harry. I still do not know who the man on the end is. Brother Cecil was away still being demobed.
 photo 94ce126b-73c8-4bbe-878a-a88da6d79c3c_zps3df35d38.jpg
My Uncle Bill died on the beach at Dunkirk. He left behind my Auntie Evelyn and his daughter Pat. I hope some day to make it to France to honour him.
 photo 3d43ac49-b1f4-4d1f-b01e-7a17e3ff8f77_zpse38edd75.jpg
 photo f8d66925-008c-4330-ae26-017dfd8cbf95_zpsb796c9c6.jpg
This year a wonderful thing happened. The Tower of London has been made up into a spectacular display of poppies around the moat. What a tribute, and what an awful reminder to us of how many gave their lives. Each poppy is for a soldier who lost his life.
Poppies at the tower
 photo b3cbe24a-eed8-4131-b0e0-894efd980d69_zps04aa4330.jpg
The poppy became the symbol of blood shed in war.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
 photo f412d139-26a3-4b33-90a4-01fa242ceb33_zpsc2fc9c0f.jpg
I see no glory in war. The Great war to end all wars and WW2 were wars that had to be fought. Why do we still seek it out? Why is it that young men have to die, why do they go willingly? Why is it glorified in film? There is no glory there. None.
War will bring out the best and worst in men and yes many hero's but at what a cost? Not only to them but to their families at home. God save us from politicians.
I thank God too for our Royal Family who serve in so many ways. They at least fight the good fight along with all the other sons of England. I thank Prince Harry for thinking of our soldiers and going to Afghanistan to spend the memorial day with them. I thank God for our Queen, the Mother of our nation and for her sons and daughter who all serve the people and the county in so many unselfish ways.
 photo bcaf3fae-3e09-4a5d-8458-c6a38135e5be_zps300281f5.jpg
I also honour and thank all the men and women who do serve in the military for what they do and what they give. I am against war and always will be, but I respect those who serve without reservation.
 photo 21b3c9a0-a3ca-4dc4-9a8c-fae7c029151e_zpsc0646cb9.jpg
Bless them Lord............Remember their sacrifice, not all wounds can be seen.
 photo 00112492-9613-434a-bc1a-6a99a71c4f38_zps631fb9e9.jpg

I am sharing this post with Create With Joy, Inspire Me Monday
sharing also with Inspire me wednesday

4 comments:

Merlesworld said...

So much about war I find distasteful but the guy at the bottom who signed up to help his country I have much admiration for but the general sitting on the hill playing with other peoples lives making decisions that are not always right, they are not held responsible for what they do but make to be the strong silent types in movies.
I don't watch war movies, I find they make me angry at the unfairness of it all.
Merle....................

NanaDiana said...

Janice- What a wonderful, beautiful, heart-touching post. It is really informative. Your Aunt must have been a very strong woman indeed. All those poppies floating in the channel there is an amazing sight- xo Diana

Magic Love Crow said...

Janice, such a beautiful and heart warming post! I agree, I see no glory in war either! Big Hugs ;o)

Mimi said...

What a touching post Janice. Just beautiful. Lest We Forget.